Monday, July 5, 2010

Attaining God's Peace In A "How is this possible" Situation

Have you ever had something 'bad' or annoying or frustrating happen to you that has made you just want to just scream?  I bettcha I know the answer to that.  Sometimes it seems as though everything is going wrong!  Like Michael from 'the Office' once said, "I'm having a bad day...I accidentally cross-dressed..."  Well here are a few things that might help you find God's peace in that 'I can't believe this just happened to me" moment.


Instead of ruminating on the negative, say a little prayer about the way you would, in a perfect world, like to react.  A simple "Jesus, please help me to stay calm and remember to put my trust in you.  You are in complete charge here -Absolutely everything is under your power and control.  Help me to rest in that." often works wonders.  This is because you are focussing on:

  1. The way God designed you to respond - asking God to help you to react as the Holy Spirit would want you to.
  2. Where all of your trust should ideally be placed.
  3. God's omnipotence.
  4. The fact that God will only allow what is ultimately good for you, as one of His children.
  5. Asking for God's help to let you trust in Him to deal with what is not within your control.
These five things are key to a peaceful spirit in spite of your circumstances.  There is peace in laying it all down before the Lord and leaving it there.

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  (Phillipians 4:6-7 NIV, italics mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment